Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Selamat Hari Raya!

Today Malaysia and the rest of the world are celebrating the end of Ramadan.  
Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri to all Malaysians! 
Woohoo, today's the day you've been waiting for, fasting all month counting down to. I hope everyone has a fun and safe trip back to their kampung, enjoy grandma's cooking and seeing your family.

This Hari Raya is a double celebration in Malaysia, as today is Merdeka day eve - that's Independence day. And yep, even here it'll be a stars and stripes celebration!


I've been here for a few Merdeka's now, and I love how Malaysia gets really into the celebration. The song nonstop on the radio, even I know (some) of the words. A countdown at midnight tonight, fireworks everywhere. In fact I heard plenty of fireworks last night for Hari Raya.

Last year I celebrated Merdeka in Penang with the boyz, blogged >here<, on another mini-roadtrip. This year though everywhere is booked out, so it's KL for us. I love the countdown celebration, but I have no idea what I'll be doing tonight. Although knowing my luck I'll probably be stuck at home, sitting in the dark on my computer eating junk food. Celebrating from behind the illuminating glare of the screen, like some kind of late-night internet stalker.


But it's still cool! Australia doesn't even have an independence day, or maybe we do, Australia Day? But there is no cool big-united celebration like here, everyone stays home and BBQ's apparently...? For some reason Australian celebrations are pretty lame compared to other countries, its just like everythings closed, go home and sleep children. Maybe it's because of our small and boring-old population though.

For me it's business as usual though. Plenty of work and assignments to get done this week, hope i'll have a chance to blog again soon. Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. So TRUE. I go to bed before midnight on NYE LOL! It's the same year after year *yawn

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?